Friday, January 22, 2016

Coats for Little Miss Revlon and Friends



Why are so many of Little Miss Revlon's coats so full? Because her skirts are very very full. Yes, she is a fashion doll, and fashions of the mid-Fifties favored full skirts for women, but not all the time. Yes, she was meant to appeal to girls 5 and older, all of whom wore crinolines and petticoats with their best dresses, but not all the time. It bothers me that  LMR in her snazziest attire could not drive a car because her skirts would not fit behind the wheel. It bothers me that clothing for this wonderful doll emphasizes that she is a toy.

So I decided to test all the patterns I could find that were meant for Little Miss Revlon, and a few meant for later dolls. A couple of weeks later, the Yahoo group Little Miss Revlon and Friends announced a winter coat photo event. All we had to do was to photograph our little ladies in coats. I was off and running.

Left, Advance 8814 coat. Right,Frankencoat



Advance 8814 for Little Miss Revlon offers the styling  of fashion magazines for humans. The sailor dress is close to Ideal's version. Would the coat be less full than those from patterns Simplicity and McCall? Well, no. It is most definitely a swing coat. I made it up in unlined blue corduroy, and took tiny pleats in the back to tame some of the fullness between the shoulders. It fits almost exactly the same as Simplicity 2254's coat. McCall's 2162 (1957) is shown in fake fur on the pattern front. It is a lined raglan sleeved coat that probably looks a great deal like my blue corduroy Franken coat from  Top Fashions for Teenage Dolls. I couldn't bring myself to test it.



Version 1 is blocky
Version 2 moderately better

Top Fashions for Teenage Dolls (Hollis & Janitch) were designed for Tammy-like dolls, wider necked and thicker bodied than Barbie. There are several coat styles in the book and I thought they'd work for LMR. My favorite, a trench coat, was a disaster on a 10 1/2 inch doll. In general, the coat styles in this book are a single pattern piece for the coat and another for the collar. They seem too big on LMR and friends.  A swing coat with sleeves separate from the coat body might work, and it did. I fiddled with the pattern to make it narrower and achieved nothing more than a wide coat. Not what I was looking for, but acceptable, especially over a dress with a full skirt.


Almost. Too wide, but usable, with separate sleeves.


The LMR coat in Johanna Gast Anderton's Sewing for Twentieth Century Dolls is very full and wide with seemingly short arms. There's a reason for this. You want to accommodate any dress sleeves the doll may be wearing, as well as that dratted full skirt. It makes up nicely in whatever fabric you like. After testing the pattern in paper towels, I usually do a second test in felt to avoid having to make linings or facings. Try the coat on a dressed doll, and pin any excess. I usually pin out  darts between the back shoulders. In a lighter fabric, you can change the shape a lot by making several small open bottomed darts. After making a plain coat, I got out leaf colored felt and felt leaf shapes and had fun.
JGA pattern for LMR coat

When Barbie came along, my mother used Simplicity 2254 for LMR to make the coat. It worked, so I thought I could use Barbie patterns for LMR and friends.  Barbie has an ostrich neck, so collars that look fine on her may look awful on  Little Miss Revlon. Her arms are longer, so any coats with elbow length sleeves should work for LMR and friends? Years ago I made up Simplicity 4883 and Simplicity 4424 for Barbie. Would they work for LMR? Yes indeed. Were they what I wanted? Not by a long shot.




Janet Panecki, who knits and sews for many dolls, offered to share her own straight coat pattern, and I jumped at the offer. I made it in leopard print flannel the instant the mail arrived.This was IT, the silhouette I really truly want. It would go with slim skirted dresses, and dresses with flared skirts. Except I didn't actually HAVE any of those. I'd only made dolly dresses for LMR.


 
By this time. Little Miss Circle P, who does most of my in process modeling, was getting a bit punchy. "Slinky dress, leopard coat, time for fun," she said, hiking her dress up on one side.

Little Miss Revlon's friends include American Character's Toni, Vogue's Jan and Jill, Miss Nancy Ann, and lady dolls from 9 to 10 1/2 inches. These include but are not limited to Cissette, Suzette, Circle P and Circle X dolls.